Talha's Physics Academy
Ohm's Law and Resistance
Ohm's Law
Statement
If $I$ is the current passing through a conductor and $V$ is the potential difference between its ends, then according to Ohm's law:
$$I \propto V$$
$$I = K V \quad \text{--- (i)}$$
Where $K$ is a constant known as the conductance of the material of the conductor. Its value is different for different materials. The reciprocal of conductance is called electric resistance ($R$), i.e.:
$$R = \frac{1}{K} \quad \text{or} \quad K = \frac{1}{R}$$
Substituting $K = \frac{1}{R}$ into equation (i):
$$I = \frac{1}{R} V$$
$$V = I R$$
This equation is known as Ohm's Law.
Electric Resistance
Resistance is defined as the ratio of the potential difference applied across a conductor to the current passing through it. Mathematically:
$$R = \frac{V}{I}$$
Its SI unit is the Ohm ($\Omega$).
Definition of One Ohm
One ohm is the resistance of a conductor through which a current of $1\text{ A}$ passes when a potential difference of $1\text{ V}$ is maintained across the ends of the conductor.
Multiples and Sub-multiples of Ohm
- Kilohm ($\text{k}\Omega$): $1\text{ k}\Omega = 10^3\,\Omega$
- Megohm ($\text{M}\Omega$): $1\text{ M}\Omega = 10^6\,\Omega$
- Milliohm ($\text{m}\Omega$): $1\text{ m}\Omega = 10^{-3}\,\Omega$
- Microhm ($\mu\Omega$): $1\text{ }\mu\Omega = 10^{-6}\,\Omega$

No comments:
Post a Comment